Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Florida So Far


Darwin Rules
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
I drove to Florida from Buffalo on Saturday and Sunday. First night I got as far as Orangeburg, SC, where I stayed in a very noisy Comfort Inn. Sunday I finished off the journey with another 8 hours through Georgia and Florida, arriving at my mother's empty Bungalow mid-afternoon. Most of the ride was rather dull -- I got from from letter "A" through most of letter "B" on my iPod, but the shuffle won't work anymore, which was a bit of a bummer. Kind of sad that I generally don't want to listen to whole albums anymore and prefer being constantly surprised by what pops up next. I did have some good Mexican food in Summersville, WV, of all places. The mountain Mama is also the scenic highlight of the trip until you get to the swampland of central Florida, which is also pretty good to look at.

(See photo above of swamp creatures eating each other in Mom's front yard)

I have already spent $140 on groceries, most of it at Albertson's, some at Whole Foods. Buffalonians who travel (BWT's) often complain that Buffalo has no Whole Foods, so I had to check it out, and I am here to report that Wegman's is a much more thorough grocer than Whole Foods, and that W's organics come in the same varieties and in the same brands as Whole Foods. If shopping in Green Architectural Spaces makes you feel good, then I guess whole foods wins, but other than that, I'll take Wegman's.

Monday, I got up and wrote for a bit, then went to Comcast to pick up a cable modem. No, I can't live without the internet for even a day, and it would drive me crazy to have drive to Starbuck's just to surf. I also joined a gym down the street and made a dental appointment for Tuesday, on which day I was told I need two crowns, which set me back a pretty penny. A lot of pretty pennies. They ground down my two back uppers on the right side and capped them with temporary crowns. The permanent ones will be put on before I leave in July. Anyhow, it's tough to chew on that side and I am popping ibuprofins like Skittles to kill the pain. It works, for the most part.

Today I finally got some real writing done. I also found a killer video store that will feed my jones while I am here. Tonight I am going to begin the Andrzej Wajda war trilogy -- A Generation, Kanal, and Ashes and Diamonds. I've seen the latter, but not the other two, and thought it'd be fun to watch them all back to back and in chronological order. I know, I am a geek, but I can tell you this: I've got nothing on the guys that run Renaissance Video in Sarasota. When I told them I was from Buffalo, they immediately rattled off every film ever set or shot in the Queen City. So there.

5 comments:

kevin.thurston said...

If shopping in Green Architectural Spaces makes you feel good, then I guess whole foods wins, but other than that, I'll take Wegman's.

seafood, the only thing i think whole foods does better. cheese is a bit more specific too.

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

You are now officially ostracized from the kingdom of Buffalo.

kevin.thurston said...

swift sentencing for a man living in florida.

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

I pride myself on the velocity of my phrases.

-k said...

"...adding one of those knobby new gourds to the soup."

(Kevin Davies, The Golden Age of Paraphernalia)