Sunday, July 27, 2008

Tilting at Windmills


Our New House
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
After casting about looking for an interesting, well-paying job to appear in a major city, a couple of applications that went nowhere, and a few monthsof living in a less violent and chaotic neighborhood than our old one, we've decided we've got it pretty good here in the Queen City. So....

We bought another house! And a fixer-upper at that!

It's on Norwood Avenue, between Summer and Bryant and features a deep back yard, front and back porches, a studio space for Lori and an office for me, plus room for guests, books, exercise equipment and various other forms of detritus. We are set to close in about three weeks and are getting ready to start work on it immediately.

In other developments, the summer of reading in Spanish continues. I just finished reading Roberto Bolaño's "Los Detectives Salvajes," which is probably the best novel I've read since I started reading novels again a few years ago. I've also read a great story by César Aira, a prolific Argentine writer, called "Cecil Taylor." My friend Greg Biglieri has been poring over his work and is also working on a translation of this particular "cuento" into English.

My current project is to read Don Quixote in Spanish. This may take the rest of my life, as I am pretty sure reading Quixote for a Spanish speaker is a bit like reading Chaucer to an English speaker. Fun when you finally get it, but a lot of work to get there.

More soon, I hope (this may turn into a home renovation blog before long)...

5 comments:

-k said...

Congrats on the house! And happy you are staying. I was worried you might take a job teaching English in Korea.

(You are the fifth person in as many weeks to talk up Bolaño. I guess this is a good reason to read him soon!

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

Thanks, Kaplan. I think Korea can only handle one American poet at a time. Bolaño is great. I am waiting for my copy of 2666 to arrive at Talking Leaves -- it's supposed to be his unfinished masterpiece. I think it's is also due out in english in the fall.

tyrone said...

Add my congrats too on the new house, Mike. We're still on for the spring reading here; I'm organizing the academic year's schedule and just wanted to confirm that...

tyrone

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

Thanks, Tyrone. Hope this finds you well. I am really excited to come to Cincinnati in the spring. Keep me posted when you get the details. The only dates that are absolutely unavailable for me are March 30-April 2 and April 16-18. The rest is wide open.

Vegierski said...

Hi! Check this out. They are looking for a translation of this short story, Cecil Taylor by César Aira because Cecil Taylor hasn't read it!
Maybe your friend has finished the translator and want Cecil to read it...
Don't you think so?

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1169432


http://blogs.lanacion.com.ar/gianera/musica/se-busca-traductor-de-aira/#comment-1198