Friday, December 19, 2008

Aimless Reading: The A's, Part 19.1 (Hellenic Interlude 1.2)


The Politics
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Aristotle
The Politic
s

I now remember the name of my political philosophy professor from college -- Dr. Mary Nichols. I found her faculty page at Baylor, where she now teaches. I am sure I read this for her class on Greek Political Thought, along with the next book on my shelf, The Nicomachean Ethics. I mostly remember discussing Aristotle's argument against the kind of collectivization of the polis outlined in Plato's Republic. Here's a passage I underlined in class which seems to have been underlined to remind me of Dr. Nichols argument that collectivities were contrary to human nature:

For there are two things above all which make human beings cherish and feel affection, what is one's own and what is dear; and neither of these can be available to those who govern themselves in this way.

No comments: