Sunday, December 14, 2008

Aimless Reading: The A's, Part 2

Abramowitz, Harold
Dear Dearly Departed

New from Jane Sprague's Palm Press, the first book from Harold Abramowitz, LA poetry impresario and co-curator of the Late Night Snack reading series, where I had the good fortune to read last year.
I bought this right when it came out, but have yet to get a chance to read it. I have been obsessed with reading Roberto Bolaño the last few months and have read little else.

As you might surmise from the title, this is an epistolary work, which appears to be a book length block of prose beginning (well, how could it not?):

Dear Dearly Departed, I am writing this letter to you. Dearly Departed. And though it pains me. A Circumstance. I live on the fence. The fence is red. Behave yourself. Dear Dearly Departed. The form of this letter. Of this letter. And the kind of. Dear Dearly Departed, stop me if you've heard this before. Or. Dear Dearly Departed. I could have been someone special. I could have told you lies. I look in the window. I look at the place you live. I live where you used to live. And I am there all the time.

No comments: