Sunday, December 28, 2008

Aimless Reading: The A's, Part 30.4


Leviathan
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Auster, Paul
Leviathan


This is the last book of Paul Auster's that I actually read (I also read In The Country of Last Things, which I once loaned to a girlfriend, who never returned it, natch). I think I stopped reading fiction for close to 10 years beginning in 1996 or 7, reading almost exclusively poetry and philosophy until 2006 or 7, when I got the fiction bug again.

My memory of the story is pretty vague, but I am pretty sure I stole this off the shelf of an editor at Hyperion Books, where I worked as a temp for 6 months in 1996.

(Do you think I am going to hell?)

It begins:

Six days ago, a man blew himself up by the side of a rode in northern Wisconsin. There were no witnesses, but it appears that he was sitting on the grass next to his parked car when the bomb he was building accidentally went off. According to the forensic reports that have just been published, the man was killed instantly. His body burst into dozens of small pieces, and fragments of his corpse were found as far as fifty feet away from the site of the explosion. As of today (July 4, 1990), no one seems to have any idea who the dead man was.

No comments: