Monday, December 15, 2008

Aimless Reading: The A's, Part 8

Albee, Edward
Two Plays by Edward Albee:
The American Dream
The Zoo Story


Another undergraduate era book. I have two memories of "The Zoo Story." One is a comparison a character makes of a mean little dog to Cerberus, the two headed guardian of the gates of hell. I remember finding that bit of hyperbole amusing, part of which was self-satisfaction at having caught the classical reference (Ah, what a fine education I had). The other is having after college gone to see a production of the play, which takes place on a bench in Central Park, on, you guessed it, a bench in Central Park. It's one of those ideas that sounds really great until it is executed. I don't remember "The American Dream" at all.  I do remember hating my drama professor, who spent most of each class torturing us with 30 year-old theater anecdotes.

No comments: