Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Aimless Reading: The B's, Part 3


Nightwood
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Barnes, Djuna
Nightwood


Richard Deming gave me this book when we read together in New Haven last fall. I am embarrassed to say I hadn't read it before and still have not. I plan to, though. Honest. Not having read this book is also making me uncomfortably aware of how overwhelmingly male my library is.

I blame my parents.

Someone marked a single passage in the book (was it Richard Deming? or some other anonymous previous reader?). It's on page 37:

Such a woman is the infected carrier of the past: before her the structure of our head and jaws ache -- we feel that we could eat her, she who is eaten death returning, for only then do we put our face close to the blood on the lips of our forefathers.

In the margins, the anonymous reader has written: "Cannibal? Vampire?"

The mystery lives on.

No comments: