Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Aimless Reading: The B's, Part 4


Flaubert's Parrot
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Barnes, Julian
Flaubert's Par
rot

I read this in college. I don't remember anything except looking up the word "boules" from the first sentence in my French/English dictionary. In case you are wondering:

Boules
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boules (French IPA: [bul]) is a collective name for games played with metal balls.

Two of the most played boule games are pétanque and boule lyonnaise. The aim of the game is to get large, heavy, balls as close to the small, 'jack'. It is very popular especially in France where it may often be seen played in any open space in villages and towns. It is also referred to as 'Bowls'.


Anyhow, I recall this being a bit snarky and also a bit of a disappointment. I'd recommend reading Flaubert instead.

No comments: