Saturday, January 10, 2009

Aimless Reading: The B's, Part 12

Bellamy, Edward
Looking Backward: 2000-1887


It appears that I purchased this book at The Strand in NYC for $4. I have no recollection of having done so, nor have I read the book. According to the introduction, it appears to be a sort of utopian novel which is told from the point of view of a man looking back at the preceding 113 years from the perspective of the year 2000, at which time society has transformed all of it social ills and created a new social order that is "at once so simple and logical that it seems but the triumph of common sense."

It begins:

I first saw the light in the city of Boston in the year 1857. 'What?' you say, 'eighteen fifty-seven? That is an odd slip. He means nineteen fifty-seven, of course.' I beg pardon, but there is no mistake. It was about four in the afternoon of December the 26th, one day after Christmas, in the year 1857, not 1957, that I first breathed the east wind of Boston, which I assure the reader, was at that remote period marked by the same penetrating quality characterizing it in the present year of grace 2000.

No comments: