Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Aimless Reading: The B's, Part 26.1 (Marc Bloch)

Bloch, March
Feudal Society Volume 2 - Social Classes and Political Organization


I wish I could say I remember more about this two-volume work. I am pretty sure I bought both volumes on line. I don't have any particular memories to share, other than an image of myself lying next to Lori in bed, the two of us reading quietly before falling to sleep.

From the final section:

But a social system, which is simply a phase of a continuous evolution of human groups possessed of memory, cannot perish outright or at a single stroke...the originality of the...[feudal] system consisted in the emphasis it placed on the idea of an agreement capable of binding the rulers; and in this way, oppressive as it may have been to the poor, it has in truth bequeathed our Western civilization something with which we still desire to live.

No comments: