Friday, January 2, 2009

Aimless Reading: The B's, Part 5.1

Barthes, Roland
A Lover's Discourse: Fragments


An old girlfriend gave this to me right before we broke up (and she also kept my copy of In the Country of Last Things). I don't remember much of it except that it is mostly a lover talking to himself about love while simultaneously examining the way he talks to himself about love while simultaneously examining the way one talks to oneself when talking to oneself about love, all of it constructed from literary fragments of lovers talking to themselves about love. Got it?

From "I am engulfed, I succumb:"

4. In love with death? An exaggeration to say, with Keats, half in love with easeful death: death liberated from dying. Then I have this fantasy: a gentle hemorrhage which flows from no specific point in by body, an almost immediate consumption, calculated so that I might have the time to abate my suffering without yet having died. Fleetingly I establish myself within a false conception of death (false the way a key is "falsified" by warping): I conceive of death beside me. I conceive of it according to an unthought logic, I drift outside the fatal couple which links life and death by opposing them with each other.

Is it apparent yet why my relationship didn't work out?

No comments: