Sunday, February 8, 2009

Aimless Reading: The B's, Part 28.4 (Roberto Bolaño)


Monsiuer Pain
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Bolaño, Roberto
Monsiuer Pain


This just arrived in the mail, so I haven't read it yet, but thought I should add it to the Roberto Bolaño section. I don't think it has yet been translated into English. Apparently, it's a riff on Poe's detective stories. The epigraph is from Poe's "Mesmeric Revelation." According to the jacket blurb:

A disciple of Mesmer is charged with curing a case of the hiccups suffered by a poor, abandoned South American in a hospital in Paris in the spring of 1938.

Sounds promising. I'll also received Javier Marias' Corazon tan blanco, which I just started reading.

3 comments:

differx said...

you'll see it's an amazing book!

rdeming said...

I noticed the almost smile. I think you allowed it because the book is Monsieur _Pain_. You figured there'd be an ironic tension that way. I'm on to you, amigo.

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

I caught myself thinking of you but the iSight went off before I could retract the smile.