Monday, February 2, 2009

Aimless Reading: The B's, Part 30 (Bonaventure)

Bonaventure:
The Soul's Journey Into God
The Tree Of Life
The Life of St. Francis


Another survivor from my Jesuit education. I think I had to buy this for a class called, "The Spiritual Journey," taught by Dr. Ewert Cousins, who also happened to have been the editor of the series that printed this book. I recall little of the class or the book. I remember Dr. Cousins as being quite old, tall, with big feet in old leather shoes, slightly stooped, a bit dotty, always smiling. He seemed like he really wanted you to have the kind of ecstatic Catholic visions described in the pages of this book. I wanted to have an ecstatic Catholic vision, but alas, I never did.

La la.

At least it was written in verse (Latin, originally):

The true worshipper of God and disciple of Christ,
who desires to conform perfectly
to the Savior of all men
crucified for him,
should, above all, strive
with an earnest endeavor of soul
to carry about continuously, both in his soul and in his flesh,
the cross of Christ
until he can truly feel in himself
what the Apostle said above.
Moreover an affection and feeling of this kind
is merited to be experienced in a vital way only by one
who, not unmindful of the Lord's passion nor ungrateful,
contemplates
the labor, suffering and love
of Jesus crucified,
with such vividness of memory, such sharpness of intellect
and such charity of will
that he can truly say with the bride:
A bundle of myrrh is my beloved to me;
he will linger
between my breasts.

No comments: