Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Aimless Reading: The B's, Part 31.2 (Jorge Luis Borges)


Collected Fictions
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Borges, Jorge Luis
Collected Fictions


Again, purchased with the other two in this set. Read, loved, no memory. An excerpt:

From the "Library of Babel":

I have just written the word "infinite." I have not included that adjective out of mere rhetorical habit; I hereby state that it is not illogical to think that the world is infinite. Those who believe it to have limits hypothesize that in some remote place or places the corridors and staircases and hexagons may, inconceivably, end--which is absurd. And yet those who picture the world as unlimited forget that the number of possible books is not. I will be bold enough to suggest this solution to the ancient problem: The Library is unlimited but periodic. If an eternal traveler should journey in any direction, he would find after untold centuries that the same volumes are repeated in the same disorder--which, repeated, becomes order: the Order. My solitude is cheered up by that elegant hope.

2 comments:

mark wallace said...

I just taught that story this past semester. Love that one, I really do.

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

Yeah, I think Ficciones will come with me to the grave.