Monday, February 9, 2009

Aimless Reading: The B's, Part 33 (Jules Boykoff)

Boykoff, Jules
Once Upon A Neoliberal Rocket Badge


Sent to me by the author in 2007 in exchange for my book. I made out pretty nicely on the deal as I also received a copy of Kaia Sand's book, interval, in the same trade. All of this came about because I was planning a cross-country trek with Lori to do some readings on the west coast after the publication of Human Scale, and because I wanted to do one of those readings in Portland, where Jules and Kaia currently reside. I called Jane Sprague about a reading in LA and she introduced me to Harold Abramowitz, who set up a reading for me there, and she also suggested I contact Jules and Kaia about setting up the Portland reading. They were helpful in pointing me to the Spare Room series, and they also introduced me (virtually) to Maryrose Larkin, who eventually set up the reading, the last one on my trip before driving back east.

You can read all about this trip if you dig back into the archive to the very beginning, September 2007 or so. There are also pictures over at my flicker page. Lots of pictures. These are the Portland pictures. Sadly, I did not get to meet Jules or Kaia while I was in Portland, so they get marked in my book as invisible angels I hope to get to meet someday.

This book was published around that same time by Monsieur Rod Smith over at Edge. We're a long way from Smith on my shelves, but he is alway near to our hearts here at Aimless reading. Hi Rod! Here's a picture of Rod playing on my iPod through the car stereo in a snowstorm on my way home from a reading in Detroit in December 2007.

And last, but not least, an excerpt from Once Upon A Neoliberal Rocket Badge, by Jules Boykoff, who has a great name:

Lee "Scratch" Perry meets Oswald "King Tubby" Ruddock in Black Ark Studio to discuss imaginary coextensivity, the divine irreference of images, & the calculus of exacting revenge on Clement "Coxsone" Dodd.

Baudrillard should've
could've would've
schnibble-dripped dub
plate tectonic spate of
parametric variable
on the Homertown Hi Fi
afternoon reverb but
what can the army do with simulators?
with the pressing plant's
original slides? with the
combinatory algrebra of
chalice logic? with
a slower beat a waxy beat
bathed in delay &
mayhem's percussive shun?

No comments: