Saturday, February 21, 2009

Aimless Reading: The B's, Part 41.1 (William Bronk)


Some Words
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Bronk, William
Some Words


Not to press home the "boring" theme too strenuously, but can you think of a less compelling title for a book of poetry? How about, "Don't Read This," or "Poems To Fall Asleep Reading," or, "No Art Here"? Come on, William Bronk, you can do better than that. To be honest, I don't know where all this hostility toward William Bronk is coming from, other than dashed expectations. I really felt like I was going to like this guy's poetry. I really wanted to like it. I bought three books of it, for christ's sake. But I don't like it. So sue me.

BEING SYMBOL

We love the hitters and pitchers, great quarterbacks,
their teams, series winners, superstars.
We see ourselves like them in work and romance,
Why not? It's not as though there were something to do.

2 comments:

rdeming said...

>>Not to press home the "boring" theme too strenuously, but can you think of a less compelling title for a book of poetry?

Ummm, "Some Trees"?

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

Well, true, but opening Ashbery's book is a very different experience than opening Bronk's!