Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Aimless Reading: The B's, Part 54 (Jacob Burckhardt)

Burckhardt, Jacob
The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy


Oops, I guess "Burckhardt" comes before "Burke." O well. Not sure if I bought this at Talking Leaves or online. Probably the latter.

This is the kind of sweeping historical narrative I was in general reading for my orals list on the prose of history. I was trying to read through the entire history of western civilization by way of the most lasting works of historical writing: Herodotus, Thucydides, Polybius, Gibbon, Burckhardt, et al. I remember almost nothing about this book. In fact, I think it is safe to say that I remember nothing at all. I am sure I read it, as my underlining appears on most pages. Ah, memory.

Here is Burckhardt's Wikipedia entry in lieu of an excerpt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Burckhardt

No comments: