Saturday, March 7, 2009

Aimless Reading: The B's, Part 58 (Octavia Butler)


Dawn
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Butler, Octavia
Dawn


Oops, another mis-alphabetized author. 

One of my book-choosing habits used to be to check out the course books for sale at Talking Leaves in order to find new and interesting things to read. A few years back, when he was still living in Buffalo, my friend Jonathan Skinner taught a class on science fiction. As I was browsing the course-book section one day I noticed the stack of required books for his class looked pretty interesting and, having never read any sci-fi, I figured it might be a good intro, so I bought the whole list, which included Philip K. Dick, Samuel R. Delaney, J.G. Ballard, Ursula K. LeGuin and Octavia Butler. Somehow, this is the one book I did not read. I blame Philip K. Dick. Once I started reading his books, I couldn't stop. I read 6 or 7 in a row. Lori, who also caught the bug, read probably twice that many. By the time I got sick of PKD, I was done with science fiction for a while, leaving poor Octavia unread. I'll get to her, though. It begins:

Alive!

Still alive.

Alive...again.

2 comments:

Stratoz said...

I think this book floated into my life through a course my wife took back in the late 80's. Hope you get to it. I have been enjoying Lori's photos at Flickr, glad to stumble onto yours too.

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

Thanks, Stratoz -- it's one I plan to read at some point!