Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Aimless Reading: The C's, Part 12 (Ernst Cassirer)

Cassirer, Ernst
The Philosophy of Symbolic Forms: Volume 1: Language


Looks I bought only two volumes of this three volume work. I feel like I bought it in New York at 7th St. Books, but I could be mistaken. I apparently read it at some point, because there are underlinings throughout, but I remember very little. This is becoming a theme with my reading. I remember very little about my life at the time I was reading this book. I have a vague memory of having learned at some point that Duncan was interested in this book. Flipping through, it seems like a good read. Extremely clear for a book of philosophy.

Here's the opening:

Philosophical speculation began with the concept of being. In the very moment when this concept appeared, when man's consciousness awakened to the unity of being as opposed to the multiplicity and diversity of existing things, the specific philosophical approach to the world was born.

NOTE ON YESTERDAY'S ENTRY:

My friend P., whose misgivings about the writer's group lead me to voice my own, tells me that it was not in fact me that convinced him to join the group in the first place, but rather our friend, J. (The Bard). I guess I am confusing that conversation with another, in which I implored him to remain in the group once he'd decided to live. This had the reverse effect of convincing me that I too needed to leave, which realization effectively ended the group after the next meeting. So much for memory.

No comments: