Monday, March 23, 2009

Aimless Reading: The C's, Part 9.1 (Anne Carson, Sappho)


If Not, Winter
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Carson, Anne
Sappho
If Not, Winter


I suppose this should be filed under Sappho, but it is so heavily marked as an Anne Carson production that I filed it under her name. I bought it a few years ago at Talking Leaves on a whim, having never read Sappho or Anne Carson (to be honest, I still haven't read much poetry by the latter). I have a memory of having lifted a line from one of these translations for a poem of my own, but I can find neither the poem I wrote nor the line that I lifted.

55

Dead you will lie and never memory of you
will there be nor desire into the aftertime--for you do not share in the roses
of Pieria, but invisible too in Hades' house
you will go your way among dim shapes. Having been breathed out.

No comments: