Sunday, April 5, 2009

Aimless Reading: The C's, Part 17 (Henry Chadwick)


The Early Church
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Chadwick, Henry
The Early Church


I am pretty sure this book belonged to my younger brother, and that he purchased it for a high school religion class. I had a habit of poaching books off the shelves of my parent's home whenever I went to visit after college, which is likely the means by which I came to own this title. I imagine this being taught at my high school in order to give young catholic men an appreciation for the struggles of the martyrs of the early church and to provide them with an opportunity to reflect on their own devotion to the cause of Catholicism. Having thus reflected, these young men would surely find themselves wanting in the religious courage department and would quietly determine to work harder at being better Catholics. This process would renew itself throughout their lives, resulting in large annual donations to the old alma mater and the poor box at the local parish. Pretty clever, those Jesuits.

No comments: