Thursday, April 23, 2009

Aimless Reading: The C's, Part 29 (Shanna Compton))

Compton, Shanna
for Girls (& others)


I bought this at a reading the author gave in Buffalo alongside Jennifer L. Knox and Aaron Belz about a year and a half ago. According to the inscription, this was the first copy of the book sold. It was a very fun reading and I remember taking lots of photos, all of which are on my flickr page. I especially like the one of Shanna counting my money.

Here's the first poem:

Opening Address

We shall now begin
the study of girls
upon whom the universe
bestows fullness
in all the right places.

A vigorous strength
can belong to a real lady
& her natural waist.
Young men ought to be taught
to appreciate her unbound form.
& exquisite mental
susceptibility.

There is much to say
upon the body & mind
of young woman
& so I present you
47 chapters to follow
after this gentle foreword.
I will endeavor to illustrate
more delicate matters
in a manner suitable for
even the most innocent.

Here it befalls us to wonder
upon this first astonishment:
a girlhood is an extreme gift
of boobies & hips
of blossom lips &
the good sense
not to use any of them.

No comments: