Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Aimless Reading: The C's, Part 34 (Matthew Cooperman)

Cooperman, Matthew
Still (to be) Perpetual


Purchased about two years ago at a reading by the author at Hallwalls Cinema in Buffalo. I met Matthew Cooperman in 2004 at the Poetry of the Forties Conference in Orono, Maine.

One afternoon, Matthew, Jonathan Skinner and myself skipped out of the conference for an afternoon to visit Ted Enslin's farm deep in the Maine Woods. Enslin entertained us in the living room of his 200-year old farmhouse and then took us on a walk through a clearing in the woods to his writing cabin, a little A-frame filled with books and cd's and trunks full of manuscripts. (I'll write more about this visit when I get to Enslin's books).

After visiting Ted, the three of us drove back toward Orono. I recall we stopped at a lobster shack by the side of the road and ate a very messy dinner while talking about Enslin, Creeley, Mac Low and many of the other old poets that had made their way to the conference--Creeley and Mac Low for the last time. In fact, I am pretty sure Mac Low's reading at the conference was his final reading, period.

Anyhow, here's an excerpt from the book:

perpetually the gradual
slides into focus
we're losing the
sense of ennoblement
that exceptionalism stirs
into being this
too is perpetual


(Side note: a couple of years ago, I put up a brief Wikipedia bio of myself, based on the fact that my name was listed on three separate entries, which I thought should contain links to relevant information. Remarkably, the page is still up. At some point it got graffiti'd by someone that turned out to be an old college roommate making a bizarre attempt to reestablish contact with me. This led to an extensive back page discussion about whether or not the page was legit. Eventually, it got cleaned up, but I decided to keep an eye on it, because the argument ended with some acrimony. One day it got hit again -- by someone else! The tagger called himself "Cap'n Coop." I have no proof, but I have alway suspected Mr. Cooperman. Forgive me, Matt, if I have wrongly accused you).

No comments: