Monday, May 11, 2009

Aimless Reading: The C's, Part 36.1 (Brenda Coultas)


A Handmade Museum
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Coultas, Brenda
A Handmade Museum


Sorry for my spotty content delivery of late. We spent the whole weekend working on the house, thus my brain has been mush. 

Anyhow, I bought this title a few years back. Online, I think. I love Brenda Coultas' writing, but I especially like this book, as it concerns all the changes overtaking my old neighborhood in NYC.

When I first met Brenda, I discovered she actually lives across the street from the little high school where I used to teach. The school is one block east of the section of the Bowery Brenda writes about in this book, which has undergone massive gentrification in the decade or so since I left.

Where once there were old tenement buildings or parking lots or community gardens, there now stand towering glass luxury apartment buildings, completely at odds with the scale and texture of the neighborhood and which, as Brenda notes, rise without any sense of the human history of the neighborhood or any concern for its human future, unless by "human" one means only the obscenely wealthy who occupy these behemoths.

Here's an excerpt from "The Bowery Project" at Tool:

http://www.toolamagazine.com/Brenda.html

No comments: