Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Aimless Reading: The C's, Part 36.2 (Brenda Coultas)

Coultas, Brenda
The Marvelous Bones of Time


Purchased about a year ago after a reading Brenda gave at Buffalo State College with Jonathan Skinner. I don't think I bought it at the reading, however. I am pretty sure I bought it online and as a gift for Lori, who loved Brenda's reading. Thus, she has read it and I have not. Alas.

An excerpt:

Looking from the free state
there is a river then a slave state
Turn around and there is a slave state,
a river
then a free state.

I was born between the free side and the slave side, my head crowning on the bridge. I fully emerged in an elevator traveling upward in a slave state. I have shopped in the slave state and eaten barbecue there. I have walked along the riverbank in the slave state and looked out at a free state.

Lincoln looked out over the river and saw a slave state and he was born in one (Kentucky), like me, but was raised in a free state (Indiana), like me. We were white and so could cross the river.

Question: are there any abolitionists hanging from my family tree?

No comments: