Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Aimless Reading: The C's, Part 38 (Jonathan Crary)

Crary, Jonathan
Techniques of the Observer:
On Vision and Modernity
in the Nineteenth Century

I bought this in Buffalo in 1997, just after I arrived for grad school. I remember reading Susan Howe's course syllabus online and feeling like I needed to get a head start on some of the reading before I arrived. I think I spent all summer reading Henry James and Nathaniel Hawthorne and then I bought and read this book.

There was another book I bought for the course, whose name I can't recall. I just remember that on the cover there was a picture of a woman in a film still standing before an expressionistic doorway. I am pretty sure it's a film noir and that the book had something to do with images of women in film. I read that one, too, but I can't recall the title.

I think learned what a camera obscura is from reading this book. I learned a lot in Susan Howe's classes, but I'll get to that at some later date.

Next up is the Creeley section, which could take quite a while -- I have 19 Creeley books, 20 if you count both copies of Pieces. I may.

6 comments:

Aaron Armstrong Skomra said...

I got this from my mom's library. I had remembered it as coming from a Joan Copjec course. You are keeping my memories honest.

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

Hey, Aaron -- I think Joan Copjec edits the series that published this book -- you were only one degree off!

rdeming said...

Mike--

I'm thinking the unnamed book might be Cavell (Contesting Tears). Does that sound right?

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

Richard -- I don't think that's the book. I am pretty sure it was a collection of essays edited by a woman. Her name may or may not have been Beatrice. I was looking for it last night, to no avail.

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

AHA!

http://www.amazon.com/Sexuality-Space-Princeton-Papers-Architecture/dp/1878271083

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

I found the syllabus in question online:

http://wings.buffalo.edu/epc/authors/howe/syllabi/sexuality.html