Monday, May 25, 2009

Aimless Reading: The C's, Part 39.11 (Robert Creeley)

Creeley, Robert
The Collected Poems 
of Robert Creeley 
1945-1975

Review copy sent to me by the publisher. The words

Examination Copy
Not For Resale


are stamped along the side.

I was disappointed that they didn't do a matching hardcover edition of the first volume, as they had the second. It would have made a nice set.

Ah, well.

Note: I will be away during the month of June and I am going to take a break from the Aimless Reading project. As I did last year, I will be driving to Sarasota, Florida to occupy my mother's house while she is away in North Carolina. Lori and I will vacation together for 2 weeks, then I will be on my own until I return to Buffalo in July. I thought I might photograph a bunch of the books and write about them in Florida, but it seems contrary to the spirit of the thing to not have the books near at hand when I write about them. My goal is to finish the C's this week before I leave, which means I need to write about 3 per day, possibly 4, depending on how you count the number of days I have left.

Brent Cunningham, watch out! You are the last on the list before I go.

There, look at that, I already completed another entry.

From the Greatest Hits Collection:

The Warning

For love—I would
split open your head and put
a candle in
behind the eyes.

Love is dead in us
if we forget
the virtues of an amulet
and quick surprise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in Tampa. You should let me buy you a beer.

The Creeley poem for the greatest hits is by far one of my favorites.

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

Anonymous -- I don't know who you are (oh, the wit!) Send me an email at kelleher dot michael at gmail dot com.