Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Aimless Reading: The C's, Part 39.13 (Robert Creeley)


Collected Prose
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Creeley, Robert
Collected Prose


I am pretty sure I purchased this online. I may have bought it at Talking Leaves...Books. I have a vague recollection of having gotten it on the cheap, which suggests the former may have been the case.

To be honest this is one of the few Creeley books I own that I have yet to read. I have skimmed parts of The Island and The Gold Diggers, as well as A Day Book, but I haven't spent a goodly amount of time with any of it.

Here's a random snippet from The Gold Diggers:

He listened slowly, closely, to all that she played him, on the phonograph. He had burnt out the fuses on two floors of the building in which they lived, fixing it better, more volume, more sound to it. The bump and grind of calypso, Charlie Parker. Listen to it. The song is, oh where do the birds go, you don't see them any more now. No but you can't hear it enough, so sweetly, so lightly. Hear it. Listen closely, then pick up the instrument and play it. Blow, this way, across, making the sound lift out of the long wood. Hold it firmly but do not over-press. A sound as in the woods' hollow, from furtive shadow and water, the reeds and willows of the wood. Not to be learned in an instant. Listen, and again, listen. He sang with a sharp croak, oh shut the door behind you. She was always not shutting the bathroom door.

No comments: