Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Aimless Reading: The C's, Part 39.15 (Robert Creeley)

Creeley, Robert
Lines On The Publication
Of The Collected Poems
Of Robert Creeley
1945•1975


This is definitely a chapbook, as is the next title, but I keep it on the shelf with all the perfect bound books (so sue me). It contains only four short poems, accompanied by photos of Creeley on facing pages.

Last summer, or maybe it was more like three summers ago -- I remember now, it was at Jonathan Skinner and Isabelle Pellissier's going away party on Huntington Ave. (Which, in case you are interested, is the street that Ted Berrigan and Alice Notley lived on one summer in the 70s.)

Matt Chambers brought me a box of books the UB Poetry Collection was giving away. I think I spoke of this in an earlier post. These included a complete set of Credences; The Collected Poems of George Butterick; and several titles by Joel Oppenheimer. Matt also kindly included this little chappy, printed in edition of 100 and signed by the author.

It's the only book of his that I own which is inscribed. I always felt weird asking him about things like that. The only other signed object I have from Creeley is a broadside that Just Buffalo printed, which he inscribed to me and Lori, just after we moved to Black Rock.

Here's the title poem:

Lines On The Publication Of 
The Collected Poems Of Robert Creeley 1945•1975

"Wow! What a crock of shit --
you never should have written it..."

Waking up in heavy sweat,
'fraid to read the papers yet --

Thirty years between these pages,
all those words and all the ages

none of which I'll be again.
Thank god I got it done.

2 comments:

Al Cohen said...

I grew up across the street from 24 Huntington, which is also interesting!

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

Looks like the house is for sale!

http://property.buffaloniagarahomes.com/property/detail.cfm?search_mlnum=339903&search_property_type=RES