Monday, July 6, 2009

Aimless Reading: The C's, Part 41 (Mike Cronin)

Cronin, Mike
A History of Ireland


I bought this a few years ago after reading Tom Hayden's Irish on the Inside, which I think I mentioned previously. I am pretty sure I bought it at Talking Leaves, but beyond that, I remember little, except in a general-knowledge-of-Ireland kind of way, which is, I suspect, what I bought it for in the first place. It's very concise -- 251 pages. I am certain that influenced my purchase as well.

From Chapter 1


The history of Ireland stretches back into the depths of time. The first settled inhabitants of Ireland were groups of hunters and fishers who travelled the short distance across the water from Scotland into north-eastern Ireland during the Mesolithic (Middle Stone Age) era. Remaining artifacts of these people are few and far between, but archaeologists are certain they inhabited the areas around modern-day Antrim, -Down, Louth and Dublin in the years after 6000 B.C.

3 comments:

Peter said...

this is an AMAZING book:

http://www.amazon.com/Irish-History-Civilization-1/dp/0773528903

cheers!!

Peter said...

a better link:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=l28D0Ux-NSwC&dq=irish+history+civilization+akenson&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=fhpSSsC6NIWKsgPM6f2mBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

Thanks for the tip!