Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Aimless Reading: The D's, Part 4.1 (Charles Darwin)

Darwin, Charles
The Voyage of The Beagle


Purchased at the Niagara Falls Outlet Mall Discount Book Store. I don't know how little I paid because, as you can see in the picture, I removed the price sticker. I never actually read this one myself, but I recall that Lori read it a couple of years back. I know this because Lori runs a decorative painting and mosaic business and the bookmark on page 402-3 is actually a Benjamin Moore Paint Sample. It contains three colors (in descending order from dark to light): greenfield pumpkin (HC-40), richmond gold (HC-41) and roxbury caramel (HC-42). It looks like the client (or Lori) may have chosen HC-41, richmond gold, as there is something written on that square (1/1 c 235) in Lori's hand.

Here's an excerpt from the page on which she left off:

The Mosaic account of the Creations is so intimately connected with that of the Deluge that I must ask my young reader (whom I alone presume to address this subject) to turn to the first chapter of Genesis, and refer to a very few verses with me. We soon find a remarkable fact, which shows to my mind that the knowledge of Moses was super-human: his declaration in an early age that light was created before the sun and moon, which must till then have appeared to be the sources of light.

(This is actually Robert Fitzroy writing in the appendix.)

No comments: