Sunday, July 26, 2009

Aimless Reading: The D's, Part 7 (Alan Davies)


Active 24 Hours
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Davies, Alan
Active 24 Hours


I am not certain how I obtained this book, but I can narrow it down to two circumstances:

Either I got it when I worked at the Segue Foundation back in the mid-nineties or I got it from Charles Bernstein when I was in graduate school. I am pretty sure the latter is the case.

Charles, as I think I may have mentioned before, often had stacks of single book titles sitting on the window sills and bookcases in his office at SUNY Buffalo. Many times as we arrived for class he would hand out free copies of those books he'd received in large quantities. I have a vague memory of him having handed us all copies of this title.

On the other hand, I also remember seeing Alan Davies read at the Segue Foundation back in 1996 or 1997 and I remember really liking the poems he read that night, which might very well have lead me to walk down to the basement office and to pluck a copy of this book off the shelf to take home.

Either way, here it is.

from The Outer Layers of Nervousness

A: The churning world charms its cadaverous tracks.
Inimitable thin louvers of wrath reels
twist waste outer fabrics worn luckily less.
Crags sweater this festered sling remorse.

C: Infrequently substantive intensives luff creases,
wake creases nurturing in trended wears
surfing sloughlingly hard lines of soporific pathos.
Warbled surceases amound a laxer contrivance

No comments: