Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Aimless Reading: The D's, Part 19 (Richard Deming)

Deming, Richard
(aka The Literary Outlaw)
Let's Not Call It Consequence


This book was given to me by the author on February 14, 2008, after the two of us read together in New Haven, CT at the Arts + Literature Laboratory (A.L.L.). My book, Human Scale, had been out a couple of months, and Richard's was hot off the presses. It was the last reading in the A.L.L. series and also the launch of Richard's book. We had a grand old time. You can see pictures of it here.

The book is inscribed on the cover page in green ink and makes me blush. It says:

"This recording of
Let's Not Call It Consequence
for my main man Mike
a poet of consequence
in admiration of his gifts
in gratitude for the gift
of his friendship

with/for love

Richard Deming

New Haven
2/14/08

(On the eve of
the end
of A.L.L.)

Ain't that sweet? I had thought the book was lost in the move last year, and while I was completing the C section of the library (no pun intended), I began to fret that it was gone forever, so I asked the Literary Outlaw for another copy.

It so happened he was in NYC to receive an award for the book at the same time I was there blogging for PEN. I couldn't make the ceremony, but we breakfasted the next morning and he gave me a second copy, from which he had read at the ceremony, with a brand new inscription.

And then, less than a week ago, I discovered that the old one was not lost at all. Instead of being in its proper place between "DeLillo" and "Derrida," I discovered it between "Delany" and "Deleuze." Now I have two.

I'll write about the other tomorrow.

Buffalo Nights

starlit and ex-
cerpted it's colder
outside than
it looks

when the mirror gets heavy
and the chocolate
          stale, rust answers
          all that glare and some
          times sleep is a way of saying no


(To be continued...

No comments: