Saturday, August 29, 2009

Aimless Reading: The D's, Part 25.1 (Philip K. Dick)

Dick, Philip K.
The Three Stigmata
of Palmer Eldritch


Purchased at the Niagara Falls Outlet Mall discount book store for $3.50. Not a bad deal. As I look at the twelve Dick titles on my shelf, I find myself getting a little nervous about having to write something about each one. I have discovered along the Aimless way that my imaginative capacity begins to diminish at about the 5th or 6th title, regardless of the author. If these begin to seem clipped, that's why.

On the other hand, I suppose I could just write about myself, which is pretty much what I am doing with this project, or I could do what I am doing now, which is filling space with meta-narrative filler, or I could reflect on where I have been so far in this project, where I think I am, and where I hope to go, or I could ask myself what I have discovered about myself and about my memories and reading habits, what has surprised me, what has disappointed me, and so on.

I could, but I won't. If I think to much about what I am doing I am likely to stop doing it. Better to stay a little stupid and keep writing.

You can listen to a very short free excerpt of chapter 1 of the Three Stigmata here.

No comments: