Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Aimless Reading: The D's, Part 42 (Martin Duberman)


Black Mountain
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Duberman, Martin
Black Mountain:
An Exploration in Community


A few weeks after Creeley died I started reading and re-reading all of his books. I also read the wretched Faas bio, as well as Tom Clarke's take on the form. Duberman's BM followed. I had been meaning to read it for years, but had not. I think I bought it online. It looks like I only got about halfway through.

I found the portraits of the various students and faculty to be compelling, but, frankly, I found the overly-detailed discussions of faculty/student politics numbing. One reason I chose to leave academia in the first place was that I could not imagine spending the rest of my life attending faculty meetings and having to listen to the petty rivalries and jealousies of the individual members time and time again trump both their own better natures and the good of the department as a whole. I think about the only thing that rivals the outright torture of listening to a faculty meeting in person is reading about one in a book-- even if the faculty does include a lot of my literary and artistic heroes. At least you can close the book.

Gotta run -- no excerpt today!

3 comments:

rdeming said...

Which edition is that?

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

looks like its the first paperback printing -- original was by Dutton. How'd yr reading go?

rdeming said...

I have the 1st ed, cloth. Wish it had the JWilliams cover like yours does. UCal just reprinted this. Can't remember the cover.

It would be interesting--and I think it's time--for there to be another book about BMC like Duberman's. The ones that exist (like the MIT book) are good as resources but something more far ranging particularly in terms of BMC's impact would be great.

The reading went really well. Someone filmed it and when that's up I'll send you the link.