Sunday, November 29, 2009

Aimless Reading: The E's, Part 10 (Shusaku Endo)


Silence
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Endo, Shusaku
Silence

I think this may have come from the trove of my brother's high school books that eventually ended up in my collection. I am sure I never read it. Oddly, I was talking about its author the other day when writer Ha Jin was in town to speak in the Babel series.

I took him to Niagara Falls in the morning and on the drive back to Buffalo we began talking different international writers that might do well in the Babel Series. Somehow this drifted into us sharing two slightly embarrassing stories.

My story was that I had once written a grant that included a list of possible writers I would invite to Buffalo if I were to receive said grant. My list included W.G. Sebald, who, unbeknownst to me, had been dead for three years at the time I wrote the grant.

Ha Jin then told me a story of being the judge for some international fiction award, and submitting the name of Shusaku Endo, who, unbeknownst to him, had been dead for two years, thus disqualifying him for the prize.

I love the cover. (Of course you do, Catholic Boy!)

from Silence

News reached the church in Rome. Christavao Ferreira, sent to Japan by the Society of Jesus in Portugal, after undergoing the torture of "the pit" at Nagasaki had apostatized. An experienced missionary held in the highest respect, he had spent thirty three years in Japan, had occupied the highest position of provincial and had been the source of inspiration to priests and faithful alike.

1 comment:

Jamie Gaughran-Perez said...

I'm a big fan of this book... in that raised-a-catholic way.