Thursday, December 10, 2009

Aimless Reading: The E's, Part 15 (Roland and Francoise Etienne)

Etienne, Roland and Francoise
The Search For Ancient Greece


I love these compact little Abrams art books. I can't remember where or when I bought this or even if I read it. I went through a period about 11-12 years ago where I was reading a lot about classical civilization, even at one point trying to teach myself Greek out of a book (I did learn the alphabet, which has come in handy a few times). Flipping through, it seems to be a history, not so much of Greek art, but of the construction of the concept of Greek Civilization as an artistically valuable one in need of excavation, examination, and so on. Maybe I'll read it (again?).

Well, that's it for the E's. Only 15 authors. By far the smallest letter in the alphabet. For those keeping track: Monday, December 14 will be the one year anniversary of the Aimless Reading Project!

No comments: