Monday, December 28, 2009

Aimless Reading: The F's, Part 10.1 (Allen Fisher)


Breadboard
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Fisher, Allen
Breadboard


I am on a roll today, I guess. Or I just have nothing to do, what with being off of work and there being 4 or 5 new inches of snow on the ground. Anyhow, I bought this at Talking Leaves Books for the aforementioned course taught by Charles Bernstein back in the winter of 1998.

I had just bought a car, having realized how difficult it was to get around in Buffalo without one When Charles asked someone to volunteer to pick up Allen in Toronto, I eagerly volunteered. He had given a reading the night before and was staying at the apartment of Steve McCaffery and Karen Mac Cormack. I think it may have been the first time I had been to Toronto. I remember getting a little lost because the street signs were all too small and because instead of being on the near corner as you approached, they were on the far corner, making them doubly hard to read and ensuring that by the time you did read them it would already be too late to make the turn.

I eventually made it and, after some tea and a quick tour of Steve's massive book collection, took Allen with me back to Buffalo. We got hit with a massive snow storm on the QEW. To top it off, I somehow got a flat tire. Having just bought the car, and never having owned one myself before, I was a bit vexed as I tried to figure out how to change the tire. I didn't know if I even had a spare or a jack to make the change. Turns out I did, but that was only the beginning of our problems.

I took out the wrench and tried to undo the nuts that held the tire in place, but they just started spinning, as if they had been loosened by some prankster beforehand. Allen and I stood on the side of the empty highway in the freezing cold and the drifting snow and the howling winds trying to figure out what to do. None of the few cars that passed bothered to stop and offer help, so we were left to ponder how, if the nuts were all loose, the tire could even remain on the car.

(This will all be the beginning of a bad joke some day. How many poets does it take to change a tire? etc.)

Finally, Allen removed a glove and touched the nuts with his bare fingers and said, They're not real. They're plastic. It was then we realized that the nuts we'd been trying to remove were actually decorative parts of the hubcap, which we had failed to notice. We quickly, now with numb hands, popped off the hubcap, changed the tire and drove through the blizzard back to Buffalo.

from Breadboard

excerpt of "Buzzard Glide"

All the while I feel my fit
my joy stand upside down for it.
And still the farther off from her
Dear Sight I am, the readier
As she emerges from the frottage she
projects that which sees itself in him
from the patterns on the spat-on wall.

No comments: