Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Aimless Reading: The F's, Part 10.4 (Allen Fisher)


Stepping Out
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Fisher, Allen
Stepping Out


Last Allen Fisher book. Purchased at Talking Leaves Books in 1998.

I have a few other vague memories associated with Allen Fisher's visit. I remember Pierre Joris came to the class for Allen's talk. I guess they were old friends. I think Pierre was taking Allen down to Albany for a reading and talk there. I remember one of them telling a story about something that happened in London involving a urinal. I can't for the life of me recall the rest of the story. I remember I had just self-published my first chapbook, The Necessary Elephant, and that I handed a copy to Pierre and told him I had just bought is translation of of Atemwende by by Paul Celan. I remember allen sent me a thank you card. It was a tri-fold with a black and white image of one of his paintings. I kept it on my book shelf for a long time. At some point a put sticky-tacky on it and hung it on the wall of my office. This was at an apartment on Ashland Avenue. I think after that it ended up in a bag full of postcards that used to use for writing exercises in the high schools. I think it is still in that bag. I think the stick-tacky is still stuck to it.

from Stepping Out

Rims of Distinction: 1

Dynamic marking cuts through the fill-up
A spin shifts telescoped
A bounce of shapes and procedures
Recur at an analytical level
Taking away glistening surfaces
Mirror canon matched by translucence
The simplicity of affection
Searching superimposed planes
What counts unexpected.

No comments: