Sunday, January 3, 2010

Aimless Reading: The F's, Part 11.3 (Robert Fitterman & Vanessa Place)

Fitterman, Robert
Place, Vanessa
Notes on Conceptualisms


I received this as a review copy from the publisher. A red stamp on the last page of the book that reads:

Dear Reader,
This is a review copy;
it is not for sale.
Thank you,
Ugly Duckling Presse

(I like the us of the semi-colon here. Who does that?) Next to the text on the stamp is a stick figure of what looks to be a duckling standing on very long legs. It is not ugly; it is quite strange.

I read through Notes on Conceptualisms when I first received it, but I haven't returned to give it a thorough reading. I didn't really feel like I understood how the concept of "allegory" was being used. Which isn't a criticism, just to say I need to read it again.

And I will. I swear.

from Notes on Conceptualisms

13. Glorious failure because among the crises catalogued by/in conceptual writing is a crisis in interiority.

A crisis in interiority is a crisis of perspective. In jettisoning the normative (or the normative of the normative), we are left with the contingent or relative normative, which is no real normative at all, and worse still, recapitulates the same problems (by default paying attention to something else) as the old normative normative. In other words, we reject the province of the monoptic (fixed) male subject heretofore a marker of success. This is the difference between Narcissus and Medusa. This is the difference between the barren and the baroque. This is the problem.

Note that the solution is not provided by the machina ex deus.

This brings us back to the meaning, and the possibility of possibility.

This is allegorical.

No comments: