Sunday, January 10, 2010

Aimless Reading: The F's, Part 17 (Merry Fortune)

Fortune, Merry
Ghosts by Albert Ayler,
Ghosts by Albert Ayler


Given to me as a review copy by Dan Machlin, publisher of Futurepoem. I owe to the title of this book the discovery of Albert Ayler's music. I think they came out with a massive compilation of his work soon after the publication of this book. I listened to bits and pieces of it on the internet before taking the plunge into the whole thing. It's some of the wildest, most off-the-hook jazz around. I can't listen to it for long stretches of time because it starts to make my nervous system jangle, but in small, 30 minute doses, it's great stuff.

from Ghosts by Albert Ayler, Ghosts by Albert Ayler

#3 Give All The Roses

Give all the roses to the one who shakes the least
All the pretty roses to the one who doesn't shake
All the garden's roses to the one standing still
Flowing roses to the one who doesn't move

All the river roses to the who moves the least
The last of the roses to the one standing still
All the river roses of your heart, your heart, your heart
All the shredded roses to the one standing still

All the pretty roses to the one who doesn't move
All the pretty roses to the one who doesn't move

2 comments:

Ron said...

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that Rich Kegler had a hand in the design of that Ayler set (there is a mathematical pun in that phrase, I think, that is over my own head). Font, I'm guessing? Or else there was some connection there--I remember him showing me the box at an early HQ of P22.

BTW, I feel inspired by both this ongoing blog project of yours and your Netflix ratings on FB. Also Julian Montague's book-cover-of-the-day. They all strike me as interesting/useful ways to transform social networkings' temptation to overshare into something far more provocative. (If you know what I am trying to say; "overshare" is not quite the right word, but close.)

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

Thanks, Ron -- I do know what you are saying. I am not at all comfortable with the kind of 'letting it all hang out' that goes on on FB, but I find that I do enjoy sharing my intellectual curiosity with others and am curious about other people's thoughts.