Thursday, January 28, 2010

Aimless Reading: The F's, Part 24 (Charles Freeman)

Freeman, Charles
Egypt, Greece and Rome
Civilizations of the Ancient
Mediterranean

No idea where I purchased this. I bought it as a primer for some of the historical reading I was pursuing on my oral exam reading list in graduate school. I have a compulsion sometimes to start at the beginning with everything. I can imagine my thought process went something like this: I am about to read Herodotus, Thucydides, Polybius, etc. for my oral exams, but I don't feel confident in my knowledge of classical history, so I I'll read a fat, wide-ranging, general history in the hope it will help me create a mental image of the period. It usually accomplishes this; however, I generally forget all of the specifics as soon as I have finished reading about them. Such is the case with this book. I remember the timeline I created in my head, but few of the details. Alas.

No comments: