Saturday, February 20, 2010

Aimless Reading: The F's, Part 32 (Karl Fulves)

Fulves, Karl
My Best Self-Working Card Tricks


Purchased at Talking Leaves...Books sometime around 2003 or 2004. Ron Ehmke and Brian Lampkin were putting together a performance of The Real Dream Cabaret at Rust Belt Books and asked if I might like to perform. I decided to do a solo act as a magician. Not that I had any tricks, but I figured I could do something entertaining if I put my mind to it.

I bought a brown and black retro dinner jacket, probably from the fifities or sixties, a black bowtie and a tuxedo shirt at the now defunct and lamented vintage clothing store, Don Apparel. I also bought a deck of Bush Administration Playing Cards, one of which is still inside the book to mark the trick I used.

The trick is called, "Would I lie?" and it uses a stacked deck. The magician acts as a politician and gets the audience to answer several questions, handing out cards that signify their belief or lack of belief in the truth of what he is saying.

For the performance, I stacked the deck so that the denouement of the trick was that I pulled Donald Rumsfeld from the deck, making sure it was clear the politician was a liar and that the lies had to do with the war. I think the trick went over pretty well.

I still use the dinner jacket sometimes when hosting Big Night events.

No comments: