Monday, March 29, 2010

Aimless Reading: The G's, Part 11 (Michael Gizzi)


My Terza Rima
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Gizzi, Michael
My Terza Rima


Sent to me by the author in anticipation of a reading he was to give in Buffalo a few years back, but which got canceled on account of snow. It is not inscribed; however, there is a note to me from the author on a small slip of lined paper inside the front cover. It reads:

DEAR MIKE–

SAW SIMON P. IN NYC THIS PAST WKD.

HERE'S–QUICKLY–MATERIAL YOU REQUESTED.

WATCH "THE INTRUDER" AGAIN. I WILL, TOO. THEN WE CAN COMPARE NOTES.

ALL BEST,

MICHAEL

"Simon P." is Simon Pettet, poet and mutual friend. "The Intruder" ("L'Intrus") is a 2004 film by Claire Denis based on a book by Jean-Luc Nancy. What the note refers to is an email conversation with Michael in which he suggested I see the film. Just that same week, another friend had also told me that they thought it was a great film. In our conversation, I noted that I had already seen The Intruder and that I did not much care for it because I really didn't understand what was going on.

However, I told him, since he and another person whose tastes I respected had given it such high marks, I would watch it a second time, in case I missed something. My hope had been to discuss this with Michael at the aforementioned canceled reading, which would have taken place in, I think, the spring of 2007. Alas, our conversation was not be.

I did see the film a second time, but sad to say I did not come around to agree with my two friends. Before my second viewing, I prepared by reading a few reviews and synopses in order to get a sense of what other people thought was going on in the film. Even so, I found the story well nigh impenetrable. Maybe I should have read the book by Nancy first? It is beautifully shot, to be sure, but I found that even having seen the film a second time and having read a plot synopsis, I could not from the film alone inuit the story, and I did not find the all of the other details compelling enough to ignore this fact.

from My Terza Rima

Velocity School

I just fed my wildlife accelerator
an old pirate of the West doughnut
now nobody has the foggiest
and a speechifying pince-nez
called Mahoney if you want
to be a badger warm
to a natural comfort find
a quiet walnut where a blue
beret can exist in peace as
tribute to the point that
bald facts if anything draw
you closer to woollen
atmospheres moony in
the condominium of wit
to wit bamboo balls that
feel cheated as astringents
since Fluff lit into the middle
distance picking up an infield
in a lifetime of touch made by
no name please cracks
a Brazil nut believed to be
the contraband of minutemen
who may be more than one
and outshines everyone

No comments: