Monday, April 26, 2010

Aimless Reading: The G's, Part 12 (Stephanie Gray)


Heart Stoner Bingo
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Gray, Stephanie
Heart Stoner Bingo


Sent to me by the author in anticipation of a reading she gave in Buffalo a few years back.

I can't remember exactly how I met Stephanie except that she used to live in Buffalo and often worked at the border between the poetry scene and the film/media scene while she was here. She once gave a workshop on prose poetry very late at night in the back room of Rust Belt Books, I recall. Someone else gave a late night workshop on how to splice film with scissors and tape. When everyone had spliced together their portion, she spliced them all on to a reel and ran them through the projector.

Stephanie eventually left Buffalo and I didn't hear from her for a while and then one day she wrote that she was living in NYC and did I know anyone who needed help writing grants. I put her in touch with Anselm Berrigan, who promptly put her to work. I think she may still write grants for the Poetry project, but I can't be sure. Anyhow, I was happy to see a few years after that that her own book came out. She read here around the time of its publication, also, fittingly, in the back of Rust Belt Books, though I think it was at a more reasonable hour.

from Heart Stoner Bingo

The Hymn of One Wolf Or Pack of Wolves Running

So, you probably think you heard one cliché running? By your apartment building, presumably. The cliché is back, this time in a red hood, (or Red Hook?) but rather, a red pea (not bean) coat that's on sale at Old Navy for $75. You could also buy 75 pounds of rice (for yourself, presumably) and no wolves will probably ever chase you, especially if your weren't wearing a hood (i.e. red) on this lake effect day.

No comments: