Friday, July 2, 2010

Aimless Reading: The H's, Part 33.4 (Susan Howe)

Howe, Susan
The Nonconformist's Memorial


Purchased at Talking Leaves...Books.

I remember a great exchange between Susan Howe and Anne Waldman at the first OlsonNow event at The Poetry Project in, I think, 2006. I was emcee and we were sort of saving Anne for near the end. She got up and read her "Feminifesto," during which she exhorted the audience to start doing events honoring some of the great living women poets, then ticked off a few names -- Lyn Hejinian, Susan Howe, Eileen Myles. Susan was sitting in the back of the room and Anne singled her out, saying "I want to hear what Susan Howe has to say about the way we honor all these male poets." Susan stood up and quietly said, "Well, I have to say, I just LOVE THESE MEN! I adore them. They are almost like Gods to me." I don't think it was the answer Anne was looking for!

from The Nonconformist's Memorial

The metaphor of a stake

Arrow thrust through

In connection with here

Eschatology

At deepest claimlessness

could not see one another

Spirit snapping after air

dragged down to visible

Chroniclers halt of such

authentic sayings

Fear destroys all welcome

house-arrest

1 comment:

Chris said...

This is a great anecdote.