Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Aimless Reading: The H's, Part 35.2 (Yunte Huang)


Cribs
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Huang, Yunte
Cribs


Sent to me by the publisher.

This is one of the most beautifully designed books of poetry I've seen in the last few years. Normally, I would say that poems sharing the page with visual design elements is a no-no because they tend to distract from the text, especially when they are not necessarily integral to the experience of the poem.

Here, though, the design elements feel like the perfect housing for the varied texture and forms of the poems themselves. I am doubly impressed at the way they seem to be variations on the cover image and to see this carried through from the front cover to the back without being obvious or repetitive or superfluous or dull. Kudos to designer Kristina Bell.

Anyhow, running late...

from Cribs

if only I knew
how to be new
to you

and close up
the gap
in time

if only I knew
where to put "up"

and when to close
"in" time

No comments: