Thursday, July 15, 2010

Aimless Reading: The H's, Part 36 (Ted Hughes)


Lupercal
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Hughes, Ted
Lupercal


Given to me as a gift a long time ago.

I can remember hearing Ted Hughes name uttered almost as a curse word in relation to Sylvia Plath. At some point I became aware he was a poet and learned more about his relationship with Plath. Further on down the line I read that he was friends with Seamus Heaney. I may have written something Heaney wrote about him. I remember reading a late review of one his books, possibly an autobiography. And then he was dead and I read his obituary. Can't say I'm a fan of the book or the author's work in general, but I like the cover of this volume, for what it's worth.

from Lupercal

Cat and Mouse


On the sheep-cropped summit, under hot sun,
The mouse crouched, staring out the chance
It dared not take.

                              Time and a world
Too old to alter, the five mile prospect--
Woods, villages, farms--hummed its heat-heavy
Stupor of life.

                              Whether to two
Feet or four, how are prayers contracted!
Whether in God's eye or the eye of a cat.

No comments: