Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Aimless Reading: The J's, Part 2.6 (Henry James)

James, Henry
Complete Stories 1864-1874


Purchased at the Niagara Falls Outlet Mall Discount Book Store (RIP). I bought the latter four volumes in the set first, then waited and waited and waited until finally this one showed up. I regret not having bought the novel anthologies when they were available. I've come to really enjoy reading LOA editions and would have welcomed reducing some shelf space in favor of the hardcover anthologies. Now that I've written about the paperbacks on my blog, I guess I can never get rid of them.

After we got evicted from our little A-Frame in Dillon, I was forced to borrow money from my father (I also got fired from my job -- as a dishwasher! -- because I missed several shifts) in order to move with two of my roommates into another apartment. I think we also skipped out on the rent and the utilities at the old place once they evicted us.

1987: We moved into a beautiful two-floor garden apartment in the "Orofino" apartment complex, which still exists -- I saw it from the highway when I was out there this past spring. Ours was on the second floor. The first floor was all open, except for the bathroom which stood to the left of the front door as you entered. To the right was a dining room and to the left an open kitchen with a sort of dry-bar surround countertop that divided it from the dining room on one side and the living room on the other. The living room stretched the length of half the floor and opened out onto a little balcony from which you could see the Rockies over the rooftops. We even had a wood burning stove. There was hairy shag carpeting everywhere, natch.

An open staircase rose up from the center to the second floor, where there were two beds, a bath, and a master bed and bath. I had a corner room over the side of the living room with the balcony. I slept in a sleeping bag on a mattress on the floor. It had a great view.

I think our rent was $350 per month combined. We even had use of a community Jacuzzi, and the man who supplied our good times lived in the next building. Ah, good times. They didn't last. In order to borrow the money from my father to make the move, he made me promise to be home by the end of March. He said he'd already sent in an application to Wheeling College in WV and that I would be entering in the fall.

No comments: