Friday, September 10, 2010

Aimless Reading: The J's, Part 14.2 (C.G. Jung)


Aion
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Jung, Carl
Aion


Purchased at Talking Leaves...Books. I think this is the book my therapist recommended, the one that contains all the stuff about The Shadow.

Whenever I hear the name "The Shadow" it makes me think of that old radio program.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

I am feeling a little blank this morning.

I remember first hearing the word "archetype" in a class I took on psychology in high school. I just barely passed the class -- if I had failed it would have postponed my graduation, but I managed to pull off a final hour "C" on the exam and make it through. I remember not being very fond of that teacher.

from Aion

The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge, and it therefore, as a rule, meets with considerable resistance. Indeed self-knowledge as a psychotherapeutic measure frequently requires much painstaking work extending over a long period...

....It is often tragic to see how blatantly a man bungles his own life and the lives of others yet remains totally incapable of seeing how much the whole tragedy originates in himself, and how he continually feeds it and keeps it going. Not consciously, of course--for consciously he is engaged in bewailing and cursing a faithless world that recedes further and further into the distance. Rather, it is an unconscious factor which spins the illusions that veil the world. And what is being spun is a cocoon, which in the end will completely envelop him.

No comments: